Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Chester


I am finally fed up with our stinkin' little rabbit. I swear lately it's like he's having pms or something. He is usually such a sweet little thing and loves to play and cuddle, but a couple of weeks ago we started seeing a whole new side of him. But, first a little background info . . .


He lives in a cage in the corner of our living room where he is showered with attention and lots of good things to eat. I scrub out his cage once a day and he is fed twice a day, plus all the snacks and treats the kids are always giving him. And, we try to let him get out of his cage and run around for 15 min to 1/2 hour morning and night. This gives him enough excercise to stay healthy and keeps him happy--or so we thought. Usually he just runs and jumps and plays in the middle of the living room, which is so funny to watch!! But lately he's got it into his head that he has to crawl behind and under the couch, so then, every morning and evening we blocked off both the entrances to the back of the couch with pillows. So then he chewed holes in my couch pillows and yanked the pillows out of the way and crawled under the couch anyway. This was really starting to get on my nerves, but we just blocked it up better and went on with life, then comes yesterday when our nice, house-trained little bunny peed on both Emma and Lindsay--one in the morning and one in the afternoon, and then peed on my floor. Now I'm feeling really ticked off.


Then this morning I let him out of his cage and instead of just going and playing like a nice little bunny, he proceeds to chew a hole in my reletively new and very expensive LEATHER couch. I was so mad I was envisioning a nice bunny stew!! (I am ashamed to say that when I saw that big old hole in my couch I actually kicked my poor little bunny.) I know, it's reprehensible to kick a poor defenseless little animal, and I have since repented of my evil ways. Then, instead of bunny stew I decided to just sell the little pain in the tukas and get it over with once and for all and I started envisioning how much I could make off him (certainly not enough to repair my couch). I could probably sell a cute little bunny like him with cage and food etc. for $40 or $50 though, and that might take some of the sting out of it. Just pass him off on some poor unsuspecting family.


But, alas we will not be selling the little miscreant! Jerry talked some sense into me, and we have just decided that it is time Chester became an outside bunny. And to tell you the truth, I am just really relieved not to have the smelly little guy in my house anymore!! I went through and scrubbed down my whole living room. I even moved all the furniture and scrubbed out all the corners (very satisfying to have it so spotless--even if it is only until the kids get home!). And now Chester is in his cage in the backyard basking in the early spring sunshine. So, all's well, that ends well . . . at least for now!!

3 comments:

  1. Hey, I am so sorry about your couch, but I had tears in my eyes from laughing so hard. Don't you just LOVE family pests? I mean....pets. See you on Saturday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I ever am tempted to get a bunny I will certainly think back to this post and think twice about it! I think your solution is perfect and am impressed at how diligent you were with the bunnies routine when it was living inside!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tina,
    The girls are lucky to have such a great mom that endures a hole in a leather couch for their bunny. I don't think that Kristina was lucky enough to get a mom like that. Good thing we don't have a bunny!

    ReplyDelete