Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Stop to Smell the ROSES!



Jerry and I are the worst gardeners in the world (don't tell Jerry I said that, he is still under the delusion that this year's garden will be amazing). It doesn't matter how much time/effort/money we put into it. Every year we buy a whole bunch of beautiful little plants to put into our "garden" and we lovingly plant and cultivate and water them. And at the end of every year we end up with a big section of crusty brown dirt and a whole lot of little tiny scraggly brown plants. Tomatoes are our old standbye. We always plant tomatoes because they are the only things we have ever been able to grow. Last year we planted 3 or 4 healthy little green tomato plants and we ate MAYBE eight teeny tiny tomatoes off of them. We got nothing from all of our strawberries and corn. But, I do have to give Jerry this, his Jalepeno pepper plant grew several peppers and actually came back for more abuse this year (it is the most anorexic miserable little plant you've ever seen, but it's still alive, so we are thrilled)! We are in the process of starting our garden this year, so please pray for all those poor little newly planted plants that will undoubtedly not survive the next month!


Anyway, the exciting news is that I am having amazing luck with my 5 rose bushes. I am one of those women who loves roses (well, really any flowers) more than anything else in the world. And my rosebushes this year are giving the most beautiful, enormous, fragrant roses you could imagine! I have yellow, pink, red, and deep maroon so far (still waiting to see how number five turns out), and they are absolutely gorgeous! Hopefully they will hang in there and keep up the good work. So, anyway, I had to show off a couple of my first roses of the season! Aren't they cool?!?! I am absurdly proud of myself for not having killed them off yet!

3 comments:

  1. Tell Jerry that he who does not quit will eventually succeed. Have you tried using the fertilizer that Chester provides for you? I love gardening and can hardly wait to get into our garden, but someone thinks that we have been building an ark, so they must keep it raining for 40 days and 40 nights.

    Love you,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Roses!!!! I just planted my first rose bush of my own, and hope that I am as successful this summer with them!!!!

    -Erica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't feel bad. I can't even keep a cactus alive. I actually watered one too much and drowned it, so I didn't water the next one and killed from thirst. Geesh! Plants are hard! :) You're flowers are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete