Friday, January 29, 2010

My Sign . . . .

Here's My Sign:
Yes, I have 4 children under the age of 7 and one on the way.
No, I am not insane (not yet anyway).
No, it is not actually a crime to have this many children. I'm not depleting natural resources, I'm improving the gene pool.
Yes, I do have my hands full (a fact of which I'm already aware and do NOT need you to point out)
NO!! I do not want to discuss it or any other personal details of my life with you (RANDOM STRANGER I'VE NEVER SEEN BEFORE).

I'm thinking of having this made into a button . . . well, it's probably too long for a button, maybe I could wear a sign around my neck, or print it on some ginormous maternity t-shirts in different colors for each day of the week, or maybe I'll just save myself some time and have it tatooed on my forehead!

I am so incredibly sick and tired of having random strangers come up to me on the street/sidewalk/store aisle/gym/library and make random comments or ask incredibly prying and personal questions about my life. Just because I have 4 children and one on the way, people feel like they have a right to all the intimate details of my life. I'M SICK OF IT. And I've decided that the only way to stop the madness is to broadcast the information to the world in a way that discourages their interest and comments.

Well, I feel better after having gotten that off my chest. I am still thinking about having that sign made, but I'm pretty sure I'd never have the nerve to wear it out of the house! I know people are just curious, and in California a person with 4 (almost 5 children) is a bit of an anomaly, and (in all honesty) we are a little bit of a freak show when I've got all four kids with me. But really people can be so judgemental, and some of the things they say are pretty harsh and unpleasant. Thank heavens my munchkins are so sweet and (mostly) well behaved . . . I shudder to think what they'd be saying if my kids were running wild! :-)

Part of my frustration is probably coming from my own trepidation at having 5 kids too. When people come up to me and look so concerned and wonder "how are you going to manage with 5" or, "what are you going to do when you have two that aren't walking yet." I guess it's just a very unpleasant reminder that I'm not AT ALL sure how I'm going to manage with five children, and I honestly have no idea how to transport 2 children who are both non-ambulatory. The first few months with the new baby are looking very daunting to me and it's not really very nice of all these people to keep pointing out how hard it's going to be. I keep wishing someone would walk up to me on the street and say what a good job I'm doing with my sweet children or how very capable and mature I seem or SOMETHING that doesn't make me think I must look (and therefore be) totally incompetent!

Aaaannnnnyyyywwwwayyy . . . this baby is coming (ready or not). And it doesn't look like Jeffrey will be moving before the new little man arrives. We talked about asking to have Jeffrey moved to a different foster home just because it will be very hard to have him and a brand new baby, but he loves us and we love him, and he's settled here in our home, and he needs us. So, we have elected to just work it out. It's the best thing for Jeffrey . . . and I keep reminding myself that my mom had five kids aged 5 and under at the same time (and luckily she didn't try and get rid of any of us) and look how great we turned out . . . and she is still very sane and normal! So, I know it's doable and surviveable. And we are just going to do and survive! And I'm sure that it will all work out for the best.

Now, if only I could get these random strangers to mind their own business . . . hmmmm, maybe that sign is a good idea after all!!

4 comments:

  1. I love this post! You can do it Tina!! If anyone can do it, you can!!! And WAY TO GO doing all you have done thus far. My neighbor had 12 children and a neat lady I talked to last week had 14 (the first four were only a year apart!). I am amazed that they survived and are still walking around past the age of 18 to talk about it, but not only are they living and walking, they are thriving have awesome kids and are such an example to me. Not that I want to get anywhere near having 12 kids, but still... they are amazing women, and so are YOU!!!! *Plus, you have help from above which a lot of people don't take into account as much as they should:)*

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're doing a great job and you will do just fine with the 5th!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, it is not as difficult as it seems when you are looking forward to it. Just like now, some days are easy and some days are hard, but everyday is possible and as Kaela say, you have help from above, whenever you are doing his work.

    I love you and I am proud of you.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. This blog made me laugh so hard. I actually just got my first "you look like you have your hands full," and I only have one and one on the way. And...I live in Utah. It just made me laugh to read this.

    Love you Tina!

    -Erica

    ReplyDelete