Last night family home evening was more about obedience than enjoyment. Do you ever have Monday nights like that? We have FHE because we're supposed to, but sometimes I wonder . . . what exactly are they getting out of it?
Our opening song was the Barney theme song . . . I kid you not, "I love you, you love me, we're good friends like friends should be" (etc.) That is what passes as an opening song at our house. We definately aren't up to "If you could high to Kolab" yet. Then, Jerry was teaching the lesson on the scripture Jacob 2:18 "But before ye seek for riches, seek ye for the kingdom of God." A really nice concept, but just a tad abstract for our group. So, instead of sitting calmly and listening to the lesson, Noah wandered off to the other room to play with toys, Jeffrey ran in circles in the living room making a very loud, high-pitched squeeking noise, and Nathan, Lindsay, and Emma spent the entire lesson fighting over who's turn it was to sit by me. (so unfortunate that I only have 2 sides and one lap . . . it would have been so much more practical for our family if I had 3 sides and 2 laps). Finally, I am so frustrated that I threaten to banish my three oldest to the other side of the room if they don't stop talking and start listening and I'm pleading with Jeffrey to please at least be quiet if he can't sit down (I don't so much mind the running in circles, it's the keening that is getting to me). And, in-between scolding and pleading I am determinedly calling to Noah to come in and play in the living room (I don't really care if he listens, but he should at least be in the same room with us . . . who knows what havoc he is creating while my attention is otherwise occupied) -- of course he is resolutely ignoring me, and I'm too busy dealing with the whiney older kids and attempting to at least pretend to listen to the lesson to enforce with either of the babies. It was insanity . . . and all I ended up getting from the lesson was a headache.
It did get better after that. The kids always love the activity. :-) So, we ended up with a carry-a-cotton ball-on-a-spoon tournament. Lindsay and Jerry were our champions, Nathan kept cheating and holding his cotton ball on the spoon with his other hand and with Emma this is a contact sport, she spent all of her races trying desperately to hold her opponent behind her with one hand while she dropped the cotton ball off the spoon with the other hand. But, it was really very fun and we all laughed like crazy. Even Jeffrey and Noah got into it and were having a blast trying to race with us until Noah gave up on the cotton ball, started brandishing his spooon like a weapon, and ended up hitting Jeffrey over the head with it (poor Jeff). That was when we called it a night and finished up with gooey, fresh-from-the-oven, chocolate chip cookies (Jerry's specialty).
So, what did my kids get from that (I mean besides covered in chocolate)? I hope they learned that you are obedient to the prophet whether it's easy or not. If so, I guess it will be worth the headache. :-)
Tuesday, March 22, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I can remember (sigh). I wish I could say it gets better, but teenagers are even worse.
ReplyDeleteI love you, just hold on to the prophets promise and know that someday Lindsay, Emma, Nathan, Jeffrey, and Noah will write in thier blog about a frustrating FHE with her kids and you can laugh and know that they are getting what they deserve (ha, ha).
Love you, Mom