Friday, March 12, 2010

Noah Michael Coleman


We have a new baby at our house (I know it's been a week, so you all already know)! His name is Noah Michael Coleman and he is such a beautiful little baby . . . well, you can see for yourself from the pictures! He was born Sunday March 7th 2010 at 12:52 in the morning. He weighed 8 lbs and 10 oz. and was 20 inches long. We are doing great so far and love having this sweet new addition to our family!!

Here he is being weighed.

Having his first bath . . . can you believe all those bubbles? Who gives a baby a bubble bath?
With Mom right after delivery

With Dad right after delivery
The whole crew came to visit us at the hospital!


We had to stay in the hospital an extra day because Noah had jaundice and had to stay under the biliruben lights. At first he hated it and screamed for a couple of hours, but then he got used to it. It was very sad for mom and dad though, because we could only take him out for feedings every three hours, other than that we had to leave him under the lights. But, after one extra day the biliruben levels went down and we got to come home!! YEAH!

So, here he is in the basinet under the blue lights.

Here he is in his cool shades that protect his eyes from the light.


Grandma and Grandpa drove up from Fresno to help take care of the kids while we were in the hospital, and they stayed to help for 5 days! So wonderful to have their help--Thanks Jim and Carol!!
Here are Grandma and Grandpa with all the kids.

Grandma cuddling baby Noah in the hospital

Grandpa and Noah bonding


Lindsay holding Noah once we got home

Emma holding Noah


Nathan and his little brother!

Welcome to the family our sweet little Noah!!


For those of you who haven't heard, I've got to share the story of his delivery . . . just because. But, feel free to skip this part if you're not interested. :-) So, on Saturday night I went to sleep at about 9:30 pm and then at 11:00pm I woke up with some mild contractions. They started to get uncomfortable pretty quickly, so I ran a bath and thought I would soak away some of the pain. Unfortunately, by the time I got out of the bath the contractions were getting pretty bad and we decided that we should call a sitter. But, of course the two sitters we'd planned to use were both unavailable, so we waffled back and forth about who to call . . . all the while the contractions were getting worse and worse until I'm practically yelling at Jerry that I don't care who he calls and he can't expect me to be rational and intelligent in the middle of these horrible contractions. Finally we call Diane Hirst (our bishop's wife). She says she'll come right over, but she lives more than 15 minutes away--and it was already after 12:00am. So, I'm pacing around the house trying to breathe through contractions that are about 2 minutes apart and 45 seconds long, and they are getting really bad. So, I go outside to wait for Sister Hirst and pace in frantic circles around the driveway. But now the contractions are so bad and there's almost no break between them. And, Jerry and I both start to panic--I'd really rather not deliver this baby in the driveway. We've got to leave NOW!!! So, Jerry calls the next door neighbor and she says she'll come right over. As she is walking over, Sister Hirst pulls up, and we throw some instructions at her and run for the car, but now the contractions are so bad I can't even get into the car and Jerry has to force me in. And it was just like in the movies where the woman is screaming in the passenger seat and the man is frantically speeding down the road and running stop signs and pulling around people who are driving in front of him. (Jerry's driving was pretty impressive)!! Then we get to the hospital and Jerry drops me at the emergency entrance and goes to park the car while I try to get up to maternity without actually having the baby on the floor. But, unfortunately I was contracting so badly that I walked right past the elevators and had to ask for directions and go back to find them. When I finally get up to Labor and Delivery, all I can think to say is "I think I'm having this baby right now, and it's my fourth." Luckily that did the trick. The big double doors open and four women come running out and drag me down the hallway. Then, they start rushing around the room like mad and someone throws a smock at me and says to put it on, but I'm standing in the middle of a room full of people, and the curtains aren't even closed. So, I hesitate for about one second and then realize I don't care who sees me naked at this point and strip down despite the audience. As soon as I get the smock on they put me on the bed and strap on the baby monitor, then they do a pelvic exam, but as she's doing the pelvic, the nurse yells out . . . She's complete--Get Doctor Serr NOW. Luckily the doctor was in the next room delivering a slightly slower baby and all she had to do was walk across the hall. So, she steps in the room, breaks my water and the baby just comes out with 1/2 a push. And it was all finished. And from the time I lay down on the bed (and they strapped on the baby monitor) to the time he was born, it was less than 5 minutes. And that's how Noah entered the world . . . he was obviously in a hurry because from the time I woke up to the time he was born was less than 2 hours! All the time we were in the hospital, everyone who came into the room would say "Oh, your the ones with the 5 minute baby" or " you're the ones who had the drive by baby" or "I heard you almost didn't make it" etc. etc. We were our own little mini-celebrities which makes me think that labors that fast must not happen very often!

6 comments:

  1. Wow! I thought Adam came fast, but Noah definitely wins! He is darling! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy hannah! That is the fastest birth story I have eeeeever heard (and I am guessing will hold the record in my book). Congrats on getting through that so fast AND having such a BEAUTIFUL and healthy baby boy!!!! He is seriously SO handsome! Congratulations!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All over the world there are women who are hating you. Less than two hours of labor. Congratulations on a beautiful boy. Give him a hug for me.

    Bryan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! He is a big kid. I can't believe he came so fast. That is awesome, although at the time I'm sure you were not thinking "awesome." Good luck with a fast recovery too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boyd and I got a good laugh at your birth story. I can just picture it all. What a whirlwind! Hope things have slowed down a bit and the adjustment to FIVE LITTLE ONES!!! is going off swimmingly. Loved Jeffrey's cake!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are so happy for you guys! I hope we can meet him soon!!!

    ReplyDelete